Saturday, January 9, 2021

Dubai and the Desert: Part 1

The calamities of 2021 seem to continue (especially in Malaysia). Political instability, heavy monsoon rain (causing floods in Pahang and Johor), with rapidly rising COVID-19 cases set a prelude for the year ahead. We now need to take care of ourselves. 

COVID-19 kills, or you paralyze your lungs forever. #KitaJagaKita

A lighter note is the cool climate we are experiencing: 23-25 degree Celsius. For a few nights, I slept without the fan! 

Juxtaposing the mild climate, I traded the pleasant Glaswegian summer (10-18 degrees) with a Middle Eastern one (35-45 degrees) back in July 2017. 

I was in Dubai for IET YPCC Meeting. During the day, it was like walking in an oven (45 degrees). However, overall, I still prefer having some heat to extreme cold. But the summer months in 

First time in a desert - Added sleeping in the desert to my list of accommodation

~~~

It feels like a decade before, but there was a time when staffs, young engineers, volunteers, and students from around the world meet, plan and organize international events and initiatives. Fighting off jetlags, we accomplished several targets and milestones. The IET now has a thriving global YP and On Campus list. 

YPCC Team 2016-17, led by the fabulous Sach

Meeting young professionals from all walks of life and learning from them, shaped me

We also know how to have fun

I have since retired from the board in October 2019. I will be forever be grateful to the IET, and will not hesitate to contribute time and effort for its vision and mission.

Wherever you guys are (IET volunteers that I had the privilege to work with), I wish everyone safe and healthy. Thank you for the opportunities, guidance and happy times. 

~~~

After the meeting, I extended 3 days to explore Dubai. Part of me wanted to reload more Vitamin D (sunlight) before heading back to the UK. I was excited, having read and watched Aladdin growing up. I pictured myself going back in time, joining the caravans of merchants on the Silk Road. 

Except, there are no more caravans and camel traders in Dubai today. Dubai is a metropolitan city, attracting companies and expatriates from around the world. 

Dubai is a city raised from the middle of a desert

A lot of effort is done to diversify the economy from oil

View from The Vault - JW Marriot Marquis

It is always a spectacular when you are at 72nd floor

The temperature was around 45 degrees during the day, and 35 degrees at night. I understand that construction works are done at night, when the weather is cooler. 

I am not sure about the temperature in the swimming pool

On day 1, I joined my friends on a 2D1N trip to the desert. 

As expected - Limitless horizon of sands

A favourite activity in the desert is Dune Bashing - Basically testing the 4-wheel drive's safety features in the desert. I can't say I enjoyed it too much. 

One of the worst video recordings ever - Shows you how rough the 'trip' was

Standing in the desert looking at others doing Dune Bashing though, was another experience

We then checked-in a nearby camp (if this is how they call it).

Camel riding and all the tourist stuffs

Sunset was pleasant as the temperature plummet. 

Performance and dance (in the middle of the desert)

I looked up and around the perimeter of the camp and found blanks and emptiness. We were truly in the middle of no where. It is still quite a remarkable experience.  

There was actually a surreal feeling - Performance was impressive too

Dinner was buffet, rugged but authentic

For the first time, I experienced what could be the life of an Arab. While most of the visitors went up their buses to head back to town and their hotels after dinner, the 5 of us chose to spend the night in the camp.

We went a step further. We literally slept on a hill of sand over looking the camp, on some blankets.

They say scorpions, snakes and etc. that comes out at night

Check out how we fare, in Part 2. 


No comments:

Post a Comment