Thursday, January 30, 2020

Incredible India - Jaipur Part 1

I was previously in Agra:

The route of Delhi – Agra – Jaipur is known as the golden triangle, one of the most popular travel sequences for (rookie) travelers. So it was natural that Jaipur was the next stop after an exhilarating visit to Agra.     

Jaipur's Amber Palace - Where the Maharajas stayed since the 1600s
~~~

From Agra, I took the non-AC class train from Agra Fort Station to Jaipur, because AC class was fully booked. Unlike the Bhopal-Shatabdi train from New Delhi to Agra, the train ride promised to be more down-to-earth, and a new experience. I braced for it, but really, it was a pleasant ride.

In the non-AC class train, each seat accommodates 3 people, and you would see passengers standing along the way. These are the folks on the Non-Reserved tickets (or ‘free sitting’ ticket), whom, if the train is too full, would most likely sit on top of the train.

(No I am just joking)

The train ride took around 5 hours, and I was lucky to get the window seat, which means I kept the same seat throughout the journey, while enjoying the blissful sceneries. Throughout the journey, I had 2 different passengers sitting beside me, and shared some interesting and pleasant conversations. The first man was a furniture seller from Agra, who was going to some holy-site near the Pakistan border for prayers with his family. He showed me furniture catalogues on his phone.

The countryside was neat, clean and tidy - Humans seem to be the problem on this planet

I highly suspected the 2nd passenger not being a true commerce student as he stated. He shared a photo of his brother, supposedly one of the winners of the ‘Longest Beard’ competition. 

The experience was pleasant to be honest
I arrived in Jaipur, after sunset, to a city full of lights. It was Christmas eve, and the hostel was having some performance/party.
Jaipur is the capital of the state of Rajasthan, also known as the ‘Land of Kings’. The roads were wider than at Agra, and the city is very well-planned. In fact, it is one of the most well-planned cities in (modern) India. Jaipur is also known as the ‘Pink City’, as the buildings in the city center were all painted in Pink (but it all looked like orange to me), by a Maharaja to welcome the King of England back in the 1800s.


I stayed near the famous M.I. Road (Mirza Ismail Road), which commemorates Sir Mirza Ismail, former Prime Minister and the builder of modern-day Jaipur. This article gives a brief history of the man that Jaipur would always remember: https://www.deccanherald.com/sunday-herald/sunday-herald-articulations/man-pink-city-will-always-697810.html

~~~

I started the next day early, and went out looking for breakfast – The in-house breakfast of the hostel wasn’t fantastic. Besides, I was staying on M.I. Road – The most happening street in town, BUT only at night. Besides McDonalds, not many shops were open at 8.30am. I think most people have breakfast at home… Just as I was about to give up (and take the uninspiring choice of McD), I saw a restaurant that was open! Surya Mahal, since 1954. Needless to say, I was the only customer.

Terrific Dosai for Christmas
You know you're having top class food when you are served the mouth freshener

The top attraction in Jaipur is Amber Palace / Amber Fort (Pronounced as ‘Amer’) – Once home to the Rajput Maharajas – Build by Raja Man Singh I in the late 1500s. My limited knowledge of the surname Singh saw me assumed that these rulers were Sikhs from Punjab. But apparently, though all Sikhs have Singh as surnames, not all Singh-s are Sikhs. So Raja Man Singh is a Rajput (clan from north India) and is certainly not Sikh. To understand who the Rajput are, you may need to read this article on Wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajput

It was like taking Tuk Tuk up Genting Highlands

The tuk-tuk ride took longer than expected, but at first glance, Amber Palace was a sight to behold. Like the Taj Mahal, it was a structural masterpiece. A perimeter fort (known as Amber Fort) encircles the City of Amer, with the Amber Palace on the most west end. The design of Amber Fort is somewhat similar to the Great Wall of China, where you could see the wilderness outside the walls. The palace is at the highest point, and is actually part of the perimeter fort.  

Remember to use the audio guide, if you are tired of engaging random tour guides. Guidebooks or Wikipedia articles are sufficient, as there are also notices and explanation boards at important sites. 

Very safe palace and fortress
You could hire transport or walk up the Palace yourself
Mirror room
Maximizing sunlight during the day
Those windows (on the left) were for the concubines and wives, while the Maharaja sits on the right
Center court
The Maharajas had planted Saffron
Maota Lake with Saffron garden on the right
From the center court up above the Amber Palace, you could glance at the city, and the never-ending ‘Great Wall of Amber’. I set my sight on the watch-tower opposite Amber Palace. Any hiker like me would be interested to have a birds-eye view of the most strategic point on the plain. I estimate it has an ascend of at least 200 vertical meters.

Yup, the Great Wall behind me is where I will hike up next
Alas, it took me around an hour, 3 quick rest-stops to reach the top. Definitely not for the faint-hearted with wobbly feets. 

The main reason why I live a healthy-life - Not much drinking, no smoking, sleep-early, exercise regularly
Only around 5 people were at the top - We had the views of the Palace beneath us
City of Amber within the walls
The limitless terrain beyond the city walls

A friend that I made

It was Bollywood worthy (I went down to help this lovely couple to record videos afterwards)
The way down saw quite heavy traffic.

I hopped off at the Pink City, or Old Town to have a quick walking tour. 

Marketplace
Sunset - Bring a face mask when you visit India
On M.I. Road, I bumped into one of the big cinema chains in India – Bollywood movie Dabangg 3 was showing, but only in Hindi, and no English sub-titles. I was sure I would sleep in the cinema after such a long day. 

A famous cinema chain, as I was told
Old school
I made my way back to the hostel, and took a shower. I met up with a classmate from Glasgow – Riddhi for dinner on M.I. Road. It was a pleasant catch-up. 

Chicken Tikka
Dessert - Was really good (Forgotten the name)

Day 1 in Jaipur was a fantastic. Up next, Day 2 of Jaipur:
https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2020/04/incredible-india-jaipur-part-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment