Friday, April 17, 2020

Incredible India - Jaipur Part 2

I had a long day yesterday, visiting the Amber Fort and hiking up the 'Great Wall':

However, I didn't have the best night of sleep. I would conclude that I had too much of Chai. Breakfast, lunch and dinner...

Today was my last day in Jaipur, as I would catch the 6pm train back to New Delhi. Having 2 full days in Jaipur, I explored the far-away sites yesterday, and left the Old Town (Pink City) for today. 

Hawa Mahal (right) and Jaipur Old Town
I started the day with the same challenge - Breakfast. I went for McDonald's on MI Road, because there were no shops open. To be honest, I would only go for fast-food as a last resort. Needless to say, at 9am, I was the only customer, but still took the staffs 25 minutes to fry the hashbrown and prepare the chicken burger. The staffs were professional, and took cleanliness very seriously. 

I recently bought KFC in Singapore, and had to wait for 25 minutes, but there was a long queue. 

It was a nice breakfast, and for a change, not very spicy
Today, the target is to visit the places on the combo-ticket bought at Amber Fort yesterday. 

If you complete these 8 sites in 2 days, you either have strong legs, or you rushed through the sites and most likely forget everything the next morning
I spent Day 1 only at Amber Fort, while today, I went for #5, #2, #8 and lastly #3. As a traveler, I prefer to take my own sweet time wandering around sites and imagining myself traveling back in time. The last thing I'll ever do is rushing around, blindly taking photos, and visiting for the sake of visiting.

In fact, I don't do things for the sake of doing it.

I started off taking the Pink City walking tour by Lonely Planet.


Pink City guide - How many of us still hold a guidebook rather than a GPS?

The feeling of getting lost in a historical city is great. You sometimes discover unexpected sites and occurrence.

Like buying nice fruits (left) and getting your toes a pedicure by the main road (right)

The most famous landmark in the Old Town was Hawa Mahal. It is an impressive piece of architecture. Easily spotted along the main road is the facade of windows. However, the entrance was hidden in the back alley (which was supposed to be the main entrance), and it took some wandering around to locate it.


The entrance at the back alley, most likely facing North-West

The (nowadays) front facade was impressive
Behind the facade
Hawa Mahal has these honeycomb-like windows, for the ladies to glance out at the main road, as they were not allowed to go out in the olden days.

It was like a VIP room made to stalk people

With intricate artistry

The then emperor - Maharaja Pratap Singh built this place in 1799
From the top of Hawa Mahal, you could see the majestic Amber Fort, some 9km away
My next destination was Jantar Martar, Maharaja Jai Singh's astrology center (or Space Center in the 1700's). The founder of Jaipur is said to built many Jantar Martars in India, and this one in Jaipur is one of the best preserved.

I can confirm that my 2-decade old Casio is still accurate
I realized the stark similarities between long civilizations - The Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Indians were all students of astrology.


The map before Google Map
As a man of science, I have only full admiration for these technology


Lunch was fried rice and lemon-tea in some random 'hotel' near the Isarlat, my next destination.

The fried rice was not amazing, while the lemon-tea felt like adding some tea to a full cup of dense lemonade - I should've just stuck with Indian food

No time for a siesta (left) and a reminder to not take drinks with ice (right)


Lunch was important, as the hiking up the 7-storey (140-ft.) Isarlat definitely requires the calories. The Isarlat minaret was probably the most recognizable structure in the Old town. 

War of succession - Ah, palace politics

More hiking in circles - A good pair of shoes and some fitness vital

The view of the Pink City


It was December, and while Delhi and Agra was freezing, Jaipur was at 21 degrees Celsius, with abundance of sunlight
The Pink City was colourful, vibrant and filled with good vibes
I visited my final attraction of the day - Albert Hall Museum around 2.30pm. As the name suggests, it was built during the Victorian era, in the late 1800's. It's the state museum of Rajasthan, and houses some valuable artifacts.


Supposed to be a government building, but the Maharaja switched it into a museum, for the public
Warrior's shield made of gold
Hinduism and Buddhism originate from this sub-continent - There must be great thinkers here

One of the most fascinating treasures of this museum is an Egyptian mummy. I felt it was an achievement for the local community. Not everyone has the chance to see unlimited mummies at the British Museum. 


Her name was Miss Tutu
X-ray scan


The museum also housed a variety of weaponry, porcelain, paintings, artifacts of various Indian sultanates, Mughal empire and even, Iranian (Persian) artifacts... I could have spent a day inside.


Being conscious of time, I went back and packed my stuffs. 

The cost of a Tuk-tuk to the train station, hailing by the roadside was Rp.80 (Rp.50 = SGD1). I am sure I could slash the price a little, but at times, you just try to help the poor guy on the street. This is sometimes the objective of tourism - You help build the local economy. 

However, it gets a bit annoying when some guys treat you like a money-tree. 

Guess what, Uber cost Rp. 67, comfortably. You also inhale less dust, carbon monoxide and enjoy the back-seat. It's also cashless, as you get to link your credit card to your account. 


It was almost dinner time, and with a 4-hour train ride on the horizon, I was determined to have something nice for dinner. Upon arriving at the train station, I took a detour in search for something nice. 


My mom said that if you could see the kitchen, it's normally safe

The downside is, you see how they prepare your food, and notice that there is only one kitchen cloth available - Wiping the plate, cleaning the knife, drying the cutleries...


Thali Special - Was good for the road - I would only eat hot food. 
It was nice to be back at Jaipur Train Station - It was classy, orderly and clean
Ajmer-Shatabdi train back to New Delhi
Leaving Jaipur meant leaving sunshine. It was like leaving Lisbon for Glasgow in the middle of winter (of year 2016). I felt a little reluctant, but was pleased I made this stop. The food was fantastic.

~~~

PS: COVID-19 is terrorizing the world now. Everyone should maintain social distancing, and stay at home. I had been extremely bogged down with work till now. Having canceled 2 overseas work trips. I found myself MacGyver-ing and improvising ways to solve challenges and delivering my assignments. I am not sure about you, but the past 1.5 months made me a better engineer.

Stay safe and healthy everyone. Don't forget to exercise and keep your brains fit.

Up next, New Delhi!
https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2020/04/incredible-india-new-delhi-part-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment