Saturday, July 18, 2020

Traveling America: Washington DC: Part 3 of 3

Previously in Part 2, I visited the Capitol, and Ford's Theater, where President Lincoln was shot: 

~~~

DC has an NBA team - Washington Wizards. Since there was a game in town, I thought why not.

DC's Capital One Arena was a huge indoor stadium

Not the biggest game on the calendar (USD 22/ticket)

Some impressive play

A fellow traveler at the Hostel from Taiwan - Albert explained that this was an end-season game, and both teams had nothing much to play for. They may even 'lack' the motivation to win, as finishing lower in the table means they have a higher priority to choose rookie (new) players next season. No wonder I felt that the game was quite lackluster at times.

Wizard's Bradley Bill (had to Google for for famous players) only played 2 quarters.

Chicago Bulls were behind 112:113, but had 2 free-throws, and won the game.

Chicago Bulls 114 : 113 Washington Wizards

I still prefer football. 

~~~

This was my 4th full day in DC, and still, it wasn't quite enough. DC has so much to offer.

At the National Mall, the first stop was Freer-Sackler Gallery outside Smithsonian Museum. There was a splendid collection and artifacts on display.

All museums/galleries are free in DC

About the collector - Artthur Sackler


Another collector - Charles Freer

The collection was impressive - Chinese, Japanese, Yemeni, Islamic, Buddhism...

You know who... Wasted money on a garden, rather than strengthening the defense

Buddha, Tibetan, 14th century

At the far end, the Smithsonian Museum is actually one of the top attractions in town, and has quite an interesting founding history.

Donated by an English Scientist, who had never been to America

Thank you Mr. James Smithson for donating your estate - It's a brilliant legacy

To increase and diffuse knowledge - What a mission

Hopefully this institution will continue to serve humanity

Being an engineer and a traveler, I had to visit the Air and Space Museum.

It has to be one of the most popular museums in the National Mall

Amelia Earhart - Every adventurer's role model

Earhart's airplane - Lockheed Vega

There was also a dedicated section for the Wright Brothers - people who we read about since primary school. Legendary inventors.


The first ever airplane

When discussing about space exploration, everyone knows NASA. But the first man in space was from the Soviet Union, and I believe that many Russian scientist left for America, along with many brilliant minds from around the world for a better life. In a way, NASA welcomes experts from around the world. A country is strong when she is open and accepts talents.

Yuri Gagarin - A legend, but definitely not well known outside Russia

NASA's Space program is of course, the best in the universe (as we know)

The space race, cold war, and military conflicts

As the museum closes, I took a last glimpse inside. I felt like a school kid introduced to science. It was a reminder that the world, and beyond, is a universe that humans may never understand. I think it is important for everyone of us to live sustainability, and reduce waste and energy usage. Everything you throw into the dust bin will end up at the landfield. The world will be a better place if we create less rubbish, reuse and recycle things.

Space exploration may be the future, as humans do not look after planet earth well enough

The weather was great, and being the final day in DC, I sat down on a bench outside the Smithsonian Museum, enjoying the sunset and evening breeze. With the Washington Monument to my left and Capitol to my right, I reminisced and reflected my journey in the New World.

There were burger stalls, people chilling and enjoying the day

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit in DC, and it has become one of my top-3 favourite cities

Overall, traveling in America was really pleasant. It has a mesmerizing history, and though no country is perfect, I suppose everyone in this region has a soft spot for America. If it wasn't for them, World War 2 in the Pacific may not have ended so swiftly. I think there are many takeaways, and this trip was quite a life-changing experience. 


PS: COVID-19 and BLM movement may slightly dim my views nowadays though. I choose to believe the the majority are always sensible, kind and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment