Saturday, July 4, 2020

Traveling America: Washington DC Part 1 of 3

Previously on Weesertan.blogspot.com, I spent 3 nights at Niagara Falls, and confirmed that the waterfalls did not freeze:
https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2019/06/travelling-america-niagara-falls.html

Today is the second half of 2020, and 4th of July. I thought it's a perfect time to continue writing about the New World.

DC climbed into my top 3 favourite cities (along with Istanbul and Edinburgh) - Very well-planned, neat and so much of tradition and history

~~~

I was glad to bid farewell to freezing Niagara Falls, I took the 12.17pm AMTRAK train to Washington DC. There is no direct trains to DC, so I had to transit at New York Penn Station. Total travel time was 14 hours!

Glad to have a few stops along the way


A small town call Albany - Many people stay in Albany and commute to NYC daily

Took around 9.5 hours to reach NYC, had pizza for dinner, before commuting another 3 hours to DC

I walked out at DC's Union's station at around 2.30am, to a temperature of 2-3 degrees Celsius, and quickly took Uber to my hostel on 11th Street. Needless to say, I went straight to bed and woke up at 8.30am for breakfast.
~~~

I set out walking towards the main icons of DC - the White House. By chance, I walked past 10th Street - Ford's Theater, where President Lincoln was assassinated. There was a long queue, so I planned to come back the next day for the tickets.

This was an important place in history

If you are interested in history, The National Mall would be like a gigantic outdoor museum, displaying America's history along the Potomac River.

National monuments, memorials and museums all in one map

Lincoln became the first Republican President (16th overall) in 1860. America's Civil War 1861 - 1865 was a deadly conflict between the Unionist north (Lincoln) and the Confederates in the south. The Confederates did not agree to Lincoln's proposal to abolish slavery.

The was a last attempt to prevent the Civil War in 1861 - Washington Peace Convention

The White House (security was strict) - No sign of Donald Trump

Walking westward from the White House, I reached the Vietnam War Memorial, which was painful to visit. The names of the fallen soldiers lined up the V-shaped walls, and it looked never ending. But for every American soldier that perished, 50 other Vietnamese followed. The main reason for war was to rid Communism. But China's Communist brought 1 billion people out of poverty in 30 years.

Which begs the question - Why is US threatening war in 2020?

I think trade war is considered war too

Lincoln's Memorial was iconic. This trip made me realize how important Lincoln was to America.

His thoughts and views should be revisited by future Presidents

Lincoln looks at the Washington Monument eternally

March is Sakura month, which I wasn't aware. The National Mall was filled with blooming flowers

Originally from Tokyo of course

Martin Luther King - Another legend for civil rights

Very very pleasant stroll - Along the Tidal Basin

From the Potomac, I took a long walk eastward along Independence Avenue, to reach the Capitol.

Very very classy and impressive - Home of US Congress and seat of legislative branch

View from the Supreme Court of Justice

It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed DC very much.

WWF became WWE, and I think now it's just WW?

Shifting house

It was also nice to stay in a hostel which allows light cooking. I stayed at Hi Hostel Washington (https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/hostelling-international-washington-dc.html) at 11th Street, and the kitchen was huge.

Bought $35 worth of groceries and fruits (for 3 days)

To be continued...

PS: Today is America's Independence Day (since 1776). I wish for world peace and hopefully, they can control COVID-19 better. If you think your job is tough, think about Anthony Fauci.

No comments:

Post a Comment