Friday, February 26, 2021

Lisbon Part 2: Sintra and Cabo da Roca

Previously in Lisbon Part 1, I explored the city center by joining the walking tour. Weather was beautiful, and being winter and low season, it was a super pleasant day. Review it at:

https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2021/02/lisbon-part-1-city.html 

On Day 2, I travelled to the town of Sintra, 45 minutes train ride from Lisbon. If you open any guidebooks, Sintra is a must-see when you are in Lisbon. Located near the Atlantic coast, the hilly town of Sintra is one of the wealthiest and most expensive in Portugal. The top attractions are the Pena Castle (15th century) and Moorish Castle (8th Century).

Pena Castle - On a clear day, you could see Lisbon

~~~

If you need motivation to stay fit, you should visit Lisbon. By refraining from taking the slow and weird-timed trams, you can burn calories climbing up and down hills daily.

The view after the first corner from my hostel

The train ride from Lisbon to Sintra was pleasant. I made some new friends during the journey, and planned for the day. There is always a certain style of backpacker/shoestring type of student traveler, that you could click instantly. One of the new friends is Wendy from Taiwan (who just completed her studies) We would explore Sintra together. 

Winter = low season = less crowded = Cooler climate = cheaper tickets

Pena Castle was as describe in travel guides, quite spectacular. Located on a hill within the Sintra mountains, this World Heritage Site was originally a monastery. In the 1800's, King Ferdinand and Queen Maria II design and built a Romanticist castle. The guidebook equates design with romanticism. I wasn't sure I felt any sense of romance, but maybe that's just me.  

It does give a field of promise and positivity

Being a palace for the King of Portugal during the 17th century, I as a commoner would always be happy to spend some time inside. 


So this is Romanticist architecture?

If you observe the details, you will find great craftsmanship

Like any castle, it is located at the highest ground and the horizon is for you to enjoy

Inside the castle, I found traces of what life was 200 years ago. 

For sure, time awaits for no men - Do what you want to do, don't wait

Reading table for the king?

Antics, valuable deco's

The kitchen - Now we know what they like to eat

I left the bright and romantic castle of Pena and head to the Moorish Castle of Sintra. When you talk about the Moors in the Iberian Peninsular, you need to know the year 711. Lured by the riches, the Islamic Arabs crossed the Gibraltar Straits from North Africa into Spain/Portugal and created famous cities like Cordoba (Andalusia), Granada, and Seville (all have famous football teams). 

At first sight there was a feel of The Great Wall of China

Which means more hiking

And breathtaking views

There is a reason why people build forts and walls (like some ex-Head of State). It has defensive functions. I am a fan of hiking up high-grounds to enjoy a bird's eye view. The temperature was around 15 degrees, though a bit cold for me, but it was still ideal for hiking. 

At around quarter past three, instead of heading back to Lisbon, I tagged along my new-found friend to visit Cabo Da Roca. Thank goodness I did not miss this spectacular cape. 

Cabo Da Roca is the most western point of continental Europe

You could safely say that before Columbus, this was the end of the (old) world

The sunset on the Atlantic was a crowd puller

Thank you Wendy for recommending this awesome place

The sea breeze during winter was freezing. Always bring a downjacket along

As the sunset on the horizon, I got back to the city center, totally exhausted physically. 

The busy Rosia Station in Lisbon, very near my hostel

Mentally and emotionally, the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment for the day (as a backpacker) could not been greater. What a superb day visiting the splendid city of Sintra.

I did manage to climb up the slope, as the long train ride gave me time to recuperate my leg muscles

I still have 2 more full days in Lisbon, and all the work-out and exercise even during winter in Scotland (where I was studying) was worthwhile. You need to be fit enough to travel, and I am glad I did exactly that when I had the chance. 

~~~

Next up, I visit the suburb of Belem, where the famous Belem Tower and Jeronimos Monastery is located. I will visit the tomb of Vasco Da Gama. Continue reading at:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment