Monday, September 28, 2020

How I survived the 14-day quarantine period

I finally understood how Thomas Edison might have invented the light bulb (and other inventions) after 1000 times of failed attempts. It takes relentless focus and religious-like effort doing a single task over and over again. 


I could inform dad to keep the clothes

For the past 14 days, I was confined inside a 350 square-feet room. It was a unique experience. 

I kept myself focused on work, glad to schedule night meetings, and even conducted some live-witness testing in USA (obviously during their working hours, which is 12 hours difference). I worked and ate on the same table.

However, it was equally important that I manage the screen time. There was a high tendency to get glued to the computer most of the time. This would be highly detrimental to health and mental wellbeing. So, I am thankful that radios are online nowadays. BusinessFM, MoneyFM and FlyFM would take sequential turns to fill the otherwise soulless room. 

I can truly say that this is the longest period in my life staying in a confined room. Even during the Circuit Breaker in Singapore, I had jogs once in 3 days, and busied myself cooking and shopping for groceries at the supermarket. 

Exercise was essential. It was important for stress management and to keep my limps functioning (before they degrade). Everyday, I did stretching in the morning for around 20 minutes before breakfast and work.  After work, I would do around an hour of (amateur) exercise, which include 60 pushups and sit ups, 200 swings of the racket (forehand and backhand), 100 calf raises and aerobic jumps. I increased the sets slowly, and by the end of 2 weeks, I almost doubled the initial workout regime. 

In addition, I need to get my hands busy. It was too easy to do nothing, and slump into oblivion. I have always been a crafty person (hopefully that's the case). After exercise, I would polish my shoes, a habit since secondary school's Boys' Brigade days. We (My classmates and I) would spend Friday night polishing our boots for Saturday's co-curricular activity day. 

Throughout the years, be it presenting my thesis, going to interviews, or receiving awards, I would polish and prepare my shoes. By proper upkeep and maintenance a pair of leather shoes can last for 4-5 years (the soles are always worn out though).

Base layer of Kiwi before polish (left) and finished product (right)

Happy to run a class on how to keep your shoes in tip-top condition

I braced for the weekend, and prepared a to do list. I ironed my shirts and cleaned the room. 

The room would've  become a jungle

Nothing beats having a good book and a cup of tea

If there was a reason to not start or quit smoking, or not to start the habit, it is this. Smoking was not allowed in the rooms, and there is a fine. But many of the guests still found away to bring in their cigarettes. It was quite impossible to go 2-weeks without smoking. It was not an easy ordeal for the smokers. 

~~~

I would like to leave my review for Hotel Milesime: 

For RM 300 (RM 150 paid by us, and another RM 150 subsidized by the government), this room was actually quite pleasant. Located in a housing estate suburb, the surrounding was actually quiet and peaceful. The icing on the cake is at 13th floor, for 2 weeks, I woke up to quite a spectacular view true north. I would spend time studying the horizon, the clouds and the weather. (The weather is always the same though.)

I labelled down the landmarks in: https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2020/09/happy-malaysia-day-from-malaysia.html 

The night view was quite mesmerizing. I have had a flew night flights having the window seat and stayed in a host of hotels and enjoyed nightlights. To enjoy the horizon of your hometown was a different feeling. Many a time, I would turn off the room lights, and gaze upon the horizon.  

Someone's birthday?


However, the food was average at best. There were hardly any fruits, while we were given extra large portion of white-rice, I suppose to keep us filled. I dare say Malaysia Airlines or AirAsia food are nicer. The hotel acted as though they were new to the quarantine program. The first few days was nothing short of calamity, with erratic meal-times. Our Whastapp group of guests recorded complaints after complaints. The food they served was truly subpar. We had half spoilt pears, which I ate the edible parts. Sometimes, I do wonder if I was really camping in the concrete rainforest. I think our expectation went so low that as long as the food are clean and cooked, we were ok.

Better days

The under-staffed hotel team tried their best, and I need to commend them for the effort. It was clear that they hadn't had the training and exposure. 

Tried their best to give some variety, which was welcomed

The fact that (fast food only) food delivery was allowed did not help. I think most guests ordered fast food. I was able to refrain from ordering fast food. I have eaten a wide range of food. 

The convenience stall downstairs was creative and and tried to sell us snacks and other essentials on Whatsapp. 

If you were to buy such a big packet of cream crackers (left), you definitely need coffee or Milo

That bottle of washing liquid (right) would last 2 years!

I was fortunate, as my family (staying 8 Km away) sent me a dozen oranges, a pack of roasted almonds, a bar of chocolate, and lot of 香饼 (for my afternoon tea break). I had more than enough to eat. 

Still, it was a weird feeling staying about 10km away from home, and to see home everyday.

Day 12, we were shoo-ed down to do blood test (RTK Antibody)

~~~

I checked out on Saturday morning, around 11pm, after 14 nights in the hotel. I was happy to finally have hot food and space to roam. To come home, all the effort was worthwhile. 

2020 is a weird year

No comments:

Post a Comment