Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Happy Malaysia Day, from Malaysia

When the Prime Minister announced Movement Control Order  (MCO) on 16th March 2020, that Malaysia will shut its borders on 18th March 2020, I scrambled my things and head into Singapore. I had 2 major projects in April and August. Like thousands of Malaysians, there was a mad rush into the Republic on 17th March, and many hadn't come home since. There are still many that are still stuck (including my brother), between a rock and a hard place

I consider myself fortunate, and after completing my projects, I decided to come back. The flip-flops in immigration policies did not help. Those who have work permits could do home quarantine (PCA and RGL), while those who lost their jobs / do not have work permits need to serve compulsory 14-day hotel quarantine. Paying RM 2100 (hotel stay) + RM 150 (swap test) + RM 30 (Blood test) was the ticket to go home. 

The barrage of online reviews of not very appetizing meals and not very clean rooms (no housekeeping for 14 days) set the expectations right. I told myself to treat this like a camping trip, and had packed some snacks and food myself. In hindsight, to quarantine is for the benefit of the people around us. The last thing we want is to go home and infect our loved ones. 

~~~

It was a cloudy Saturday morning and I left my place around 9.15am. I quickly cleared Singapore customs. 

Crossing the Causeway for JB, while a crow flies towards Singapore

For the Causeway, which is probably the world's busiest international land-border crossing (some 250,000 people cross daily), it has been a quiet 6 months. Built by British Malaya and opened in 1923, this historical causeway has been the most important travel mode between both countries. 

In 1942, the Japanese Imperial Army had crossed into Singapore in 1942 via the Causeway, after taking Malaya. 

Got shoved into the bus, and took the last seat (only 21 person per bus)

By 9.45am (in just 30 minutes after leaving Jurong West), I was already standing at JB Customs

Little did I know, it would be until 9pm before I check-in my hotel. I wasn't in a hurry, and prepared for the long haul. As usual, the system was not the most efficient, and we had lots of waiting, which was expected. I estimate that there were around 130 people who crossed the border. I was at no. 86. 

Swap test was around 3pm. It felt like water entering your nose when you swim - It was fine

I had preempted this by preparing a book, a loaf of (fruits and nuts) bread, a huge pack of baked cashew nuts.

Another way to kill time is to chat with your fellow countrymen, people who share the same goal and desire to go home. 

There was an ethic Indian uncle (middle-aged man), who came back from Singapore with empty hands. It was clear that he wasn't well-off. He stood out as compared to the rest of us, who had bags of belongings. During registration, one of the officers had a difficult time getting information from him. It came to a thin line between joking and insulting the uncle

"What is your address? You don't even know where you stay?"
"Did you come back from Singapore or Indonesia?" 

The young officer asked the uncle, drawing a few laughter in the crowd. I observed and wasn't having any of that. I was ready to step forward, and had even identified an Indian girl who could speak Tamil as a backup. You do not need someone to speak perfect Malay or score A1 in SPM (O-Level) Malay Language to give due respect. 

But deep down, like all of us in the hall, I knew if the uncle had worked in a foreign land like Singapore, he definitely had the skills to manage. He was chill, had a innocent look and was just being humble. Thankfully the debacle ended soon after. 

When we were asked if anyone had issues paying the hotel charges (that's RM 2100 or US$500 cash for 14 days), uncle raised his hand, and was led away. There are provisions for financial support and alternative arrangements. It was an heartening gesture. 

At around 5pm, I got my wristband. We got up the bus at around 6.30pm

I was glad that uncle did not board the bus to the hotel. He didn't even have clothes for the night. Hopefully uncle had his quarantine somewhere safe. The officer who made fun of the vulnerable should be ashamed of himself. The rest of the officers were friendly, helpful and kind.  

We got to the hotel by 7.30pm. There was more waiting. 

There wasn't much I could bring back - 4 pairs of shoes, my laptop, formal attire, working files and documents and etc. 

Queuing to get your bags checked - No cigarettes, sharp objects and alcohol 

And then, queue to pay the hotel charges and check-in

Located in the suburbs of Bukit Indah, and just beside Columbia Hospital, Hotel Milésimé (I have not heard of) is like your neighborhood hotel, most probably targeted Singapore weekend tourist. 

The room was large enough, which means there's ample room to exercise, and practice badminton swings (notice that there is only a set of pillows and blanket)

The amnesties were pathetic though.

I exactly know what I needed to survive

Still, if you compare to the Himalayas, this was a luxury.

~~~

We are provided with 3 (authentic warung food) a day. If you've been to local universities, or the 3 month (fun) national service (when you were 18), the food is on par. A true Malaysian will be able to eat anything under the sky - Malay, Indian, Chinese, Western, Spicy food, soup, curry... 

Johor favourite - Mee Rebus

School canteen favourite - Friend beehun with lots of MSG (a comment was, this was ok for breakfast or lunch, but how can this be sufficient for dinner?)

Did we sign up for a weight loss program for 2 weeks?

Out of the blue, we were added into a Whatsapp group hosted by the hotel convenience store. We could also order food via Grab/Food Panda, and also the in-house menu. 

Ayam goreng berempah with some uncooked beans

It was obvious that the hotel was under-staffed, and food came at odd hours - 9.30am for breakfast, 2pm for lunch and 7.30pm for dinner. As of Day 5, they have improved slightly, but it is hard to believe they are 'new' to their tasks. There had been other quarantine groups. 

But if you name a strength of a Malaysian, it is the ability to adapt. It is imperative to exercise and keep yourself fit. In a way, being confined in a room for 2 weeks, we ought to control our diet.

~~~

Streaming alternative radio stations such as BFM, MoneyFM and FlyFM from the laptop was a respite. It is amazing how technology has changed our lives. 

I am just grateful that I could still work

Am also relieved that the windows could be opened. 

Requested some fruits, snacks and newspapers from the family which I received today. 

~~~

After 4 days, I worked out the horizon

PS: Happy Malaysia Day. 

2 comments:

  1. great one sir ! can see that you are a proud malaysian =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. If Robert Kuok is still a proud Malaysian, we also ought to be..

      Delete