Sunday, August 9, 2020

Visiting Bangalore, India

India was on my wishlist for a very long time. I jumped on the opportunity for a working trip in May 2019. It's true that visiting India in the middle of summer is an adventure itself. 

Flew through Chennai - The plains were flat and you could feel the heat

Bangalore is the capital of Karnataka state, in South India. It is famed for being a techie, young and vibrant cosmopolitan. Known as the Silicon Valley of India, it is at an elevation of 900m above sea-level. As I spoke to a few local staffs at the hotel balcony, they explained the implications of development. The weather has changed due to deforestation and global warming. Anyway, Bangalore is still one of the greenest, and has one of the mildest climate in South India. This was where the British first made camp and chose as a summer vacation spot.

 Today, it attracts people from all over the country

MNCs set up their headquarters in 'campuses' 

Walking in these campuses, I felt like I was back in university. 

 I wonder why they build the pylon in the middle of a lake - Or, did the lake came afterwards?

In one of the campuses, there was a night-market-like bazaar, where most of the young people shop for necessities.

Business was good

Spices and sweets, as usual 

Impressive

Outside the campus, life was as usual. This part of town was considered 'urban', surrounded by offices. I reckon it is quite a well-off suburb. The PG (Paid-Guest) type of accommodation was the most economical and popular way young people/professionals live. It is essentially a hostel system, with meals provided. 

Temples are part of (South Indian) life

 So are cows - sacred beings

I was in Whitefield for a week, and truly enjoyed the vibes, pulse and atmosphere. Working in India is truly interesting, and you will definitely become a calmer and more composed person. You actually need to, if not your BP may boil over.

~~~

During the weekend, I managed to catch up with some IET volunteers who were based in Bangalore near MG Road in the city center. Joining and getting involved with The IET has turned out to be one of the best decisions in my life. The IET (Institution of Engineering & Technology) is a charity organization that aims to engineer a better world. Volunteers are always welcomed.

With Ved, Subu, Vishnu, Venkat and Anil  

Afterwards, I took a stroll along Mahatma Gandhi Road (MG Road), wandering around this historical city.

Those who don't study history, are going to repeat them 

The most famous statesman 

 Bible Society - Does look derelict

I then walked towards Cubbon Park, an unmistakable destination on Google Map. The greenery was delightful.

6000 trees! Plastic free zone!

Queen Victoria still stands at the entrance

 You do need strong legs to travel in India

The park was huge, and very comfortable - A park for the people

The Bandstand - Not sure what for nowadays

Behind the Band Stand was the Karnataka High Court.

While I was reading the billboards and explanation, I spotted a pleasant-looking family, trying to take some photos. As usual, I offered to help them take a family photo, and we started chatting. They are from Kerala, and were on vacation in Bangalore. The father is a teacher, and was quite chatty. Nevertheless, he looked at me suspiciously, feeling quite surprised to see a Chinese-looking guy introducing himself and as a Malaysian, while able to communicate seamlessly. I took the opportunity to introduce Malaysia further; the food, the people, the weather. Malaysia still has an international standing, and it is every Malaysian's responsibility to carry her name.

 I like talking with the locals - It is the best way to learn about culture and history

Bangalore's historical tradition is actually being overshadowed by Mysore (145km away), where the Kingdom of Mysore was based. Tipu Sultan's Palace is one of the more famous landmarks. Tipu Sultan was known as the Tiger of Mysore, the last emperor of this region. He was a big enemy of the British East India Company, who had launched no less than 3 wars, before taking this land in 1799.

Locals pay 25 Rp. while foreigners pay 300 Rp.(USD 4) - It was obvious my ticket wasn't official

You get to understand how things work, and learn to live with it. 

 The Palace has been around for 220 years, and it still stands strong

A tourist attraction nowadays

Audience hall 

Tipu Sultan's Palace was quite a piece of artwork. It was more of his bravery against the invaders that caught my imagination. Read more of him at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipu_Sultan

I then took the Metro to Bangalore Fort, having quite a high expectation.

The roots of a tree are as deep as the height - Similar to the history and civilization here

Bangalore Fort was first build by the city's founder Kempe Gowda I in the 1500's. Today, Bangalore Fort still has an aura of strength and protection.

As I was reading the noticeboard at the entrance, a young Indian guy approached me and ask if the fort is open. (I know I look like a tourist, but really... I was still trying to find my way)

There were 2 guards with rifles at the entrance. I wasn't sure either. Turns out, the fort was free to enter, and this Indian guy was a Malaysian, from Kulim, an electronics engineer with Intel. He was in town for training, and took time out of the weekend to explore the city.

Orang Malaysia rupanya. Malaysians are actually quite well-traveled.  

Only the strong can take the summer heat

The fort was not touristy, in fact, we had it to ourselves. It was well-maintained, clean and tidy, most likely due to the immerse historical value.

Away from the fort though, was the reality of life. I always believe that it is hardships that make us stronger.

 We should be grateful with what we have, be kind and useful

My visit to Bangalore was a rather short, but this trip provided me the confidence and motivation to visit Agra-Jaipur-Delhi at the end of December 2019:
https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2020/01/incredible-india-agra-part-1.html

India - What a beautiful country, and every backpacker's dream.

PS: As of August 2020, COVID 19's situation is India has spiraled. My sincere wishes to the friends and people there.

No comments:

Post a Comment