Monday, June 1, 2020

10 things I learn after 10 working years (Part 1)

1st of June 2010 was the first day I started work as an engineer in a combined-cycle power plant (together with QS, JH and Toh). It was a low key occasion, but I could still remember, by 8.30am, the 4 of us sat in the meeting room at the now defunct Plant A office. Alas, it was a significant milestone in my life - I started earning a living and paying taxes. Though I have been financially independent from the family since 18 (courtesy of a scholarship from GSP), it was still special.

And, it has been a decade!


Once awhile, when departing KLIA, I would still spot the station (if I take the left flank window seats)

After about 3-4 years, there is no more being a rookie and 'young' engineer. People of my generation are now parents, managers, or running their own businesses.

The few of us were lucky, as we went straight into the job after a brief internship a year before, so we kind of hit the ground running. I have been through ups and downs in the office, and there is no doubt that I was extremely fortunate and lucky to receive the mentoring, opportunities and exposures at the workplace. I would say we learned more than we worked. There were also amazing people and colleagues. Not a lucrative career, but I wouldn't trade it for another one. No one teaches you to be a electrician/mechanic overnight.

In the past decade, I switched jobs, went back to university, met loads of people and remained in electrical engineering / energy sector. I was also fortunate to live in different cities.

Below are the 10 things I learned, and hopefully will be useful to the newcomers.

1. Pick up a lifelong skill.

Position yourself in a way that if there are no jobs out there, you still have a core-competency that would prevent you from going hungry. It is important to align yourself to a field of expertise, be it accountancy, bakery, certain sports (football/badminton) and etc.

Circle of competence, as coined by Buffet.

For me, I have no qualms taking up minimum wage and head back to power stations or any manufacturing plants to do electrical maintenance. I am confident in my basics, and could pick-up new skills quickly. I am a hands-on person, so any craft-work is also fine.

Of course, eventually, you could climb the corporate ladder into management, evolve into a generalist, consultant or become an entrepreneur. But for your core competency, that is a life saver.

I would tail my technicians and try to learn every skills on the table, no matter where the location was

Take your own initiative to learn, grow and develop (because no one will plan or do it for you). If you don't think you are learning, improving or developing, try find other ways, such as to take part-time studies, volunteer for a cause or sign-up for some online classes.

On a cold fall day in 2016, after class, outside the classroom in Rankine Building, Glasgow University, I asked Prof. R. Paton what should I do if my boss or the organization is toxic (no culture of sharing knowledge, people issues, unable to learn and grow), he looked me in his light blue eyes and answered - Leave.

2. Be humble, don't worry about doing extra work, or the donkey job.

As newbies, you will be labeled all sorts, from not knowing the basics to just being hopeless. Fret not. This is part of growing up and trimming whatever ego or snobbishness you have. Time is on your side, but the irony is, you have only the first few years to not know the basics or just being hopeless. These few years are the best time to learn rapidly, make mistakes and fail (not too miserably). You could still kind of get away with it (your seniors most probably have to clear the mess for you, so thank them!).

Who isn't a noob when you first started off. I didn't even know how to use a multimeter. I once use a test-pen to check DC current (or rather, I didn't understand general AC and DC circuits and voltage ranges).

Don't worry about people lamenting the new generation being weaker than the previous. Most of us turned out just as fine, if not better-off than our seniors/parents. This is the law of evolution. If we continue to work hard and hone our skills, we will outrun the seniors, and they will be proud of us. Never forget your teachers and seniors who've trained and developed you.

It is a blessing to have mentors to give you a lift, and reduce the time wasted to learn from scratch. As the saying goes - Innovate and improve the wheel, not reinventing it. Try learning from past mistakes (of others). Nevertheless, the mentors-to-be would make the final decision if they would take you under their wings. Their decision depends on your character, attitude and track-record.

IET Awards Night 2008

Donkey jobs from connecting wires, painting motors, soldering wire-ends, tightening bolt / nuts, pulling chain-blocks, housekeeping, to photocopying and highlighting schematics... I learned something from doing these chores. The beauty is, similar to swimming, once you know it, it sticks with you. No one is going to teach you how to read electrical schematics or P&ID drawings without you showing commitment, interest and some basic footing. You won't understand power plant technology if you had not climbed into the turbine compartment or boiler confined space.

I am all for sharing and coaching newcomers. Many find that I have the patience to teach. I suppose this is my way to pay homage to the teachers and mentors past and present. I hope to contribute back to society what I have obtained. But if a student isn't interested, or feels entitled, I can't do much.

3. Put yourself in your boss' shoes. 

You will one day become a boss/manager, and you will face what your boss is facing now. Managing people is most challenging, and if we could make our boss' life easier, they will appreciate it.

Try to look at the big picture, and though you may not always appreciate or understand it. Try to invert the situation, and think "what if it happens the other way round". You could also treat it as On-Job-Training, something like a free course in management.

It is always easy to throw the towel, and focus on the negatives all the time. Once awhile, try to think and recount the benefits and perks you currently enjoy.


Never underestimate the seniors/bosses - They've seen a lot more than you, and may just be testing your resolve. Look far beyond immediate gains (Downtown Sydney from the airport lounge)

4. Your attitude and character, WHEN you are against the wall / at the low point, counts. 

Someone famous once said: "It's is not how you behave when you are victorious, but when you were defeated, that defines you".

Sometimes, you get bad days at the office, be it being passed for promotion, getting no recognition for the hard work (yet), being wronged/misunderstood or seeing a brainchild turned down. It is easy to lament and lay the fault on others, as this is the easy way out. But this is life - Like the waves by the beach, there are high and low tides. Others will be observing your reaction and response, and it will most likely define your future image and reputation. Don't let this mishap go to waste, and try and get the best out of the situation stronger - on a positive note.

What can the worst scenario be?

I always try to think from my counterpart's stance. There has to be a reason why someone acts least-intelligently or rationally.

There is no shame in admitting a mistake and correcting any wrongs, so that the organization moves forward. It gets a bit awkward when you are a senior leader or at management level, and when your strategies or directives turn out less perfect. Or, when your student actually outshines you. I think we should all be proud and happy that our trainees go one better than us. I am here today because of my teachers and mentors. There is bound to be competition and replace-ability issues, but I believe that in the long run, if you are good in what you do, you should be brave enough to teach/share while continuously learn and develop yourself.

The workplace is always challenging, but equally interesting/fulfilling if we keep our composure and maintain humility. Time will show and uncover your capabilities, and you shall get your chance to shine. When this comes, grab it tightly.

5. Learn to love your job, not your company. 

Warren Buffet still tap-dances to work. He genuinely likes his job. He is 90 this year.

If you find it difficult to wake up on a Monday morning for work, find something you like to do. Do note that the things you like may not feed you and your family. So, you might as well try to love your job.

I like gardening, backpacking and hiking, but these will most likely remain as hobbies.

I am passionate in safe, smart and sustainable energy. These are what that keep my life meaningful, as I contribute my expertise to society.

Rewinding a generator in 2015

For the next 5 points, I will describe in Part 2.

~~~

PS: Spoke in my first ever webinar for Southampton University Malaysia On Campus yesterday via zoom, on personal growth. Some glitches here and there, but I hope the young ones gained something.

No comments:

Post a Comment