Thursday, September 26, 2019

Hiking Gunung Tahan (Part 3 of 3)

Our hike was between Independence Day and Malaysia Day - I wish Malaysia peace and prosperity. I genuinely hope that people would be more understanding, matured and mindful when they speak their minds. Those keyboard warriors who spread hatred and unverified fake news should be ashamed of themselves.
(Credits to the 10-men team from KL for the flag)

~~~
Day 3

It wasn't the best sleep last night. It drizzled for 2-3 hours, and I was kept wondering if my clothes hanging on the tree-line outside the tent would be soaking wet. I didn't want to leave the cozy and dry tent to keep my clothes. Thankfully, my clothes turned out fine. 

We all woke up at 5.30am promptly - It was summit day!

The plan was to hike up the summit for sunrise, get back to Kem Botak, take breakfast, and head down to Kem Kor. It was estimate to reach Kem Kor by 5pm - almost a 10-hour day of hiking. 

By 6.15am, after some milo, biscuit and a small piece of Snickers, we departed for the summit, 'free-body' (without our haversacks). It was almost like I could jump and hop my way up. Without the haversack, I felt so much lighter and agile. We were practically leaping and running up the mountain in the dark. Rocks were scattered along the way, but we were unperturbed. Mr. Yew, the most athletic, led the way, and must have summit-ed in less than 30 min. 

The push to the summit took me around 40 minutes. There were only the 2 groups up there - us and the 10-men team from KL. We had the summit to ourselves. 

We reached the top before sunrise
Sunrise was amazing, as in, looking at the sun itself. The thick fog and morning mist rendered us unable to see much, but Pak Uda, our guide could correctly point out the directions of Terengganu and Kelantan, in relation to our location in Pahang. Nevertheless, everyone made it to the top. What an achievement! 

Sunrise - Sun only
Team-7 and Pak Uda
As the sun rose above, it was time to leave the summit.

The hike down from the summit to Kem Botak was actually more spectacular.

Striking down-jacket
The sun would rise above the summit and provide an amazing view of the rain-forest and mountain range from above
Coupled with the morning breeze, it was picturesque
We could see the dwindling trek to Kem Botak, our tents and the infinite mountain range


 It was a reminder of the tasks today. It will be a long day at the office. Kem Kor felt really far away.

View point at Kem Botak, with the Jalur Gemilang
Breakfast was sumptuous, and we are required pack lunch. Today will be the longest day, but to kick-off the day with mouth-watering breakfast really boosted everyone's mood.

Nasi Lemak for breakfast, Nasi Goreng for the road. The sambal ikan bilis was top notch
Nostalgic: My mestins have been with me for almost 2 decades - Though I don't use them as often as I would've liked
We packed up and left Kem Botak by 9.30am. 

Break-tent and prepare
For the past 3 days, we were lucky that the weather was good. The treks were manageable, and today, I really paced myself to the slowest. I enjoyed looking at the trees and plants, trying to observe and understand as much as I could. I even spotted a grey fox climbing up a tree.

Monkey-cup plant
Multi-colour plant with indifferent leaves
The double ladder
Pak Uda and I would reach Kem Kor at 6pm, trekking behind everyone and being the last to arrive. I had a nice (but cold) shower by the Kem Kor river. I thought the river was dangerous and slippery. It reminded me of a near-miss at Gunung Ledang years ago, when I was almost washed down a waterfall. A water hose made the difference.

Always be extra careful at waterfalls/rivers.

In short, on Day 3, everyone covered:
- 2.5Km: Kem Botak (elevation 1900m) to the summit (elevation 2187m)
- 2.5Km: Summit back down to Kem Botak
- 16Km: Kem Botak to Kem Kor (elevation 750m)

Dinner was again, brilliant, and we had Maggi tomyam for supper. Finally, I was able to discharge the packets of Maggi!

~~~
Day 4

To our horror, it rained all night longs last night - from 12am till 8.30am. Thankfully the tent held up, while I was glad to see that my mestin and mug were not washed down the camp-site. I had resigned to lose either my cutlery or mestin. 

We could only start trekking back to the 'Entrance' at 9.30am, as the rain dwindled. The treks were all muddy, with fallen trees and washed down leaves. It was not the best day for trekking. 

Actually, there were many groups of hikers, at least 30 of them who spent the night at Kem Kor, and were heading up to Kem Botak. There was no doubt that it was going to be a big challenge hiking on these trek condition. 

Tying food supplies up the trees at Kem Kor (for the return leg) 
Besides the slippery treks, all the rivers had higher water level. Kuala Luis in particular, we were stuck for about an hour. 

Never underestimate a rushing river stream - Remember to open all the shoulder and waist strap of your haversack. When unable to hold on, release your haversack rather than get pulled downstream

Last night, we were marveling at fact that there weren't much leeches. Big mistake, leeches came out in full force today. My blood has always been the least favourite for mosquitoes and leeches. But today, the leeches were enjoying themselves. Without tights or legging, and by constantly rolling up my hiking pants (bought from Nepal some 6 years ago), I was an easy target. Holding on to the fact that leeches suck 'dirty' blood, and that leech therapy has its benefits, I was quite happy getting bitten. 

I also had the opportunity to learn from Pak Uda, our knowledgeable guide on how to stop the bleeding, using traditional methods. Daun Senduduk (Additional reference from Forestry Department website: https://www.forestry.gov.my/en/tumbuhan-ubatan/item/senduduk), is an everyday leaf that can be found easily, was indeed useful.

Daun Senduduk could be found quite easily

I would advise to let the leech drink as much blood as it can without 'disturbing' it. Once the leech is full, which I estimate you'd only lose around 10ml of blood, it will 'alight' from you. 

Take and choose (smaller) Daun Senduduk leaves, rub it with 2 palms, till it becomes mushy and you could see the white colour liquid from the leaves. This liquid is fantastic cure, stops the bleeding, and prevents itch.  

Make sure to rub the leaves until it is soggy and mushy

I also learned that there are no leeches in the forest of Indonesia - Leeches are sensitive ground movements, and would not survive in earthquakes areas. 

I reached Kuala Juram, also being the last man with Pak Uda, at around 3pm, bleeding with leech-bites. The sun was shining bright, and there was a sense of pride and satisfaction. I observed that along the way Pak Uda was following my 'selected' footstep paths. It was a sign of improvement, that I 'chose' the most effective pathways.

Anyway, the most important thing is that everyone came down safely. 

Recounting your assets
And you get a certificate as a souvenir
To be honest, all my hiking gear/equipment are considered pre-historical. My sleeping bag, mestin, watch, haversack and etc. were all from the yesteryears. I was never going to be the cool guy in the mountain having branded clothing, sophisticated equipment and fancy gadgets. I don't even use insect repellent and sun-block, as I deem them harmful to the environment. I would cover myself up as a protection from the sun. I guess I have 'thick skin'  and the insects don't prefer my blood. I am a fortunate guy. So I was pleased with my achievement. 

We were definitely tired after 4 days. No food hunt or detour, as everyone headed back to KL. I took the 11.30pm bus from TBS back to Skudai the same day. 

~~~

To be able to break-free from live for 4-days was amazing. No cellphones, no laptops, no air pollution. Malaysia has the best hiking trails in the world, and we ought to support the local economy. 

Looking forward to the next hike, another one of the G7s maybe?
Reference for G7 Mountains: http://www.starproperty.my/index.php/articles/g7-mountains-malaysia/


No comments:

Post a Comment