Friday, September 20, 2019

Hiking Gunung Tahan (Part 2 of 3)

The journey to the foothill was pleasant, as discussed in Part 1: https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2019/09/hiking-gunung-tahan-part-1-of-3.html

We started our hike, and had a good Day 1.

Credits to my mate of almost 2 decades - Ivan for bringing and carrying the 2-men tent (bought from Decatlon, at SGD 30). I had quite a good sleep last night (which is always the case). The tent was warm, and I didn't require my sleeping bag, which was used as a makeshift pillow.

~~~
Day 2

There were rumours that this morning's hike would be the toughest - From Kem Kor to Kem Kubang. The difference between 5D4N and 4D3N depends on how we fare today (Day 2). For 5D4N, we are to trek about 4 hours from Kem Kor to Kem Kubang (and call it a day). Whilst for 4D3N, we would then need to hike from Kem Kubang to Kem Botak, which is another 4 hours. So it pretty much depends on how fast we could reach Kem Kubang, and if we still have the strength (and determination) to continue. 

The double-ladder slope was my favourite
We started our hike at around 8.30am, and would reach Kem Kubang for lunch around 1pm. The terrain was visibly different, and clouds would form from no where. 

Packed lunch (Ayam kicap, rice and an apple)
Kem Kubang had weak telco signals - I prefer to be isolated and maintain Flight Mode
It was apparent that we still had the legs to continue, so did the neighboring team of 10 from KL. We decided to push for Kem Botak, thus officially switching from 5D4N to 4D3N. The main reason being, Kem Kubang had nothing much to offer, no views, and was far away from the water source. Kem Botak had water source, and the summit was just 2.5km away. If we could reach Kem Botak, the stage is set for us to hike up the summit the next morning. 

With an extra day to spare, we imagined going for some food hunt around Pahang on Day 5. We eventually did nothing like that. We were exhausted by the end of Day 4, and preferred to haed home. I would end up taking the 11.30pm bus from TBS to Skudai. 

But that story is another day - Part 3. Stay tuned.


Our immediate target was to reach Blumut, and Kem Bonsai.

Blumut is 1.5km from Kem Kubang, has a heli-pad, and telco-signals
Half way through the hike, I saw 'Barcelona-guy' from the other team lying beside the trek, using a tree trunk as support. I would later learn that he encountered cramps, and couldn't continue. He and a guide had no choice but to drop back to Kem Kor, while his teammates (whom were really fit) pushed for Kem Botak. It was a testament that Gunung Tahan was not for everyone. If you ain't fit, you'll find it punishing.

Hopefully 'Barcelona guy' would come and attempt Gunung Tahan again. He looks quite a jolly person. 

Along the way, as usual, I covered the rear flank, hiking with Pak Uda., our guide, who gave me useful hiking pointers along the way - Small steps, slow pace, taking the flattest contour and etc. We exchanged ideas, well, more of me trying to pick his brain and learn as much as I could. By the end of Day 4, I had a sense of pride trekking in front of Pak Uda. He followed my steps, which meant that I chose the right paths. 

Quite painstakingly, we would arrive at Kem Bonsai at around 4.30pm. Kem Bonsai had this Bonsai tree in the middle of the trekking path. We could see Kem Botak in the distant far. It looked dauntingly faraway, with an elevation of at least 500m. There were genuine concerns that we couldn't reach Kem Botak by sunset. At an altitude of >1500m, the vegetation and trees became more scarce, somewhat barren. There were no longer those hundred year-old rain-forest canopies of trees. This was when you need your hat.

The view of Kem Botak from Kem Bonsai - It was 4.30pm
I mustered all my might, determination, and trekked at a faster pace. I had to increase my pace, and reach Kem Botak earlier. I was aware that it will be a long day tomorrow, and I should get some rest. The views along the way was splendid. I virtually had the mountain by myself.

The evening breeze crept-in
It was a time of tranquility and serenity (Barren landscape though)
Rain water analysis system
The engineer in me needed to examine the control panel - It wasn't lock, and I thought the batteries would be a life saver
I would reach Kem Botak around 6pm, actually feeling refreshed. The reduction of at least 5Kg of food supplies definitely made the hike more enjoyable.

Kem Kor has an elevation of 750m, so we hiked more than 1200m vertical distance today, tough day at the office
The Mountain King - Mr. Yew, standing in front of the guide's tent and quartermaster
Ivan's 2-men tent - Reliable, sturdy and rain-proof
The 10-person team from KL was already high and dry
There was a somewhat a puddle of stagnated water source some 800m from Kem Botak. I had a nice 'shower' using 1.5L 100Plus bottles, 4 bottles to be exact. It felt good to finally have a 'shower' after 2 days. Again, the feeling of getting your hair combed is always desirable. 

And I was in time to catch sun-set
Spending the night at Kem Botak was magical. Dinner, as usual, by Chef Man was beyond compliments. The mushroom soup, a very Chinese way of cooking included 冬菇 and 木耳. Needless to say, it was wiped dry. The weather was nice and cool, with clear skies. We could see the moon and stars above. I spotted the north star. The cool breeze was perfect, in contrary to rumours that said Kem Botak was 8-10 degrees C. 

Yummy~
We were all happy with our progress, and enjoyed the evening in the dark, with much laughter. We retired to bed at around 9pm. Tomorrow is summit day, and we were to wake up at 5.30am and depart at 6am.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment