Saturday, June 23, 2018

From Johor to Everest Base Camp: Day 3 - Namche Bazaar (Acclimatization Day)

This is a continuation from:
https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2018/06/from-johor-to-everest-base-camp-day-2.html

17 May 2018, Wednesday

Acclimatization day at Namche Bazaar (3440m). Hiking to Syangboche (3800m) and return

Trek time: 4 hours (average hike)


I think most of the team didn't sleep well last night. It was probably the most difficult night of my whole trek. At 3500m, the body took longer to adapt. While sleeping, I had a slight 'fatigue headache', and woke up around 3 times for the toilet.

In fact, I woke up at around 5am, feeling quite hungry. By 7am, which was breakfast time, Namche was 0 degrees Celsius, and was shrouded in thick fog. Today was suppose to be a 'rest day', for us to acclimatize. It's no way a 'sleeping day', but a day we trek to a higher altitude, and drop back. Acclimatization was vital, as it prevents and minimizes altitude sickness, which could ruin the entire trekking experience. 

I was particularly glad when Henry said that the hike to Syangboche will only start at 11am due to fog. I quickly retreated into my warm sleeping-bag for a nice nap from 9am to 10.30am after breakfast. 

The most comfortable place in the Himalayas

I felt much better after the nap. We duly gathered and started our hike at 11am, but the fog never cleared. 

Namche Bazaar, one of the most famous village in the Himalayas 
According to Henry, all the shop owners here own properties in Kathmandu, and are considered rich people.

We were ready to 'acclimatize'
It was an 'acclimatization hike', so we traveled lightly. Still, it was quite a steep hike, as we did 200m of vertical ascend.

Into the clouds



Yak (male) and Nak (female)

It was nothing like a 'rest day'

Feeding the dog water

We were told that, on a clear day, we could enjoy the views of Everest, Nuptse, Lohtse, Ama Dablam, Thamserku and etc. near Everest View Hotel. All we could see was basically fog, or clouds. The hike was challenging in the sense that it was quite steep. Many a time, I would find myself out of breadth. I have to stop and take 3 consecutive deep breaths before continue walking. The hike was starting to get serious. The level of oxygen was dwindling as we climbed, and I could feel it.

What we could see (Tsangboche Heli-pad)
We had a quick rest near Everest View, and went back down. We would reach back Comfort Inn, our hostel only at around 2.45pm, hungry and exhausted. The timing couldn't be worst.

You could withdraw cash in Namche (with some exorbitant bank charges)

Late lunch, and you could see the tiredness and expressionless folks after the hike
After lunch, it was free and easy time, and I tagged along the team to the nearby bakery, which provided free Wi-Fi. Namche, living up to the name Sherpa Capital, actually has 4G Data Speed with NCell, one of Nepal's telco company. I purchased a NCell sim card (100 Rs.) and Rs. 200 'recharge credit' at Kathmandu airport when I arrive. You are required to provide a photograph when you purchase the Sim Card.

When I travel, I normally shun buying local sims, but being a solo traveler in Nepal and the mountains for 2 weeks, I felt it was quite important to have a phone line and data. Namche will be the last stop with stable data network. Thus, you don't really need to buy the expensive data packages sold at the airport, ranging from 4GB to 10GB, which cost some US$10.

The sim card came in really handy, as I used it to call for updates and search for info when we were stranded / finding our way in and out of Kathmandu-Lukla.

Anyway, the BIGGEST reward of the trek thus far, was the hot shower (US$ 5) I took before dinner! The hot shower was so so good, and it's definitely the longest stint of my life without a shower - 60 hours! Even combing my hair felt like having a 5-star massage. It gave me a real morale boost!

Sometimes, you never know how lucky you are, until you are deprived of the daily routines you enjoy. I definitely felt more contented and grateful about my life.

For the 2 weeks spent in the mountains, I had only 2 showers, both in Namche, while on the way up and down.

A reminder, especially to me:

A wallpaper at the bakery
It was a nice 'rest day' in Namche Bazaar.

Up next:
https://weesertan.blogspot.com/2018/07/from-johor-to-everest-base-camp-day-4.html

No comments:

Post a Comment