Saturday, March 20, 2021

Lisbon Part 5: Coastal town of Faro

Previously in Lisbon Part 4, I crossed the River Tagus and visited Cristo Rei. I rounded off my day visiting the Dinheiro Museum, Lisbon Cathedral and Aljube Museum. It was definitely a day of history learning. Review the post at:

~~~

On Day 5, I had a free-and-easy morning, where more hiking took place.

Feeling at home going up and down slopes

I made a final push for a bird's eye view of Lisbon, before checking out at noon

Up next was a 5.5-hour bus ride from Lisbon to Faro, which departed at 1.30pm. 

Sete Rios Bus Station, Lisbon

I left Lisbon with a heavy heart - I felt 'acclimatized'

Maybe it meant that I will soon head back to the winter of Glasgow.

I crossed the 25th of April bridge, and a final glance of Cristo Rei

I also spotted the Tower of Belem to the left. 

I look forward to return to Portugal. 

~~~

The journey from Lisbon to Faro was amazing. Vast agriculture land, lushes of greenery and herds of cows sunbathing. The sunset was captivating. 

Reached Faro bus station at around 6pm, actually feeling drained

Hiking seemed easier than taking a 5.5-hour bus ride.

I would stay Baixa Terrace Hostel, an authentic,classy and comfortable place.

But there was an issue - There were no heaters!

Faro is a beach town at the south of Portugal. Winter is about a few weeks, and unlike Lisbon, heaters are not very essential.

Roof top, which was empty - Low season

The hostel was pretty empty. During the spring and summer months, this place would be full with tourist. I had to sleep in my socks and gloves, after drinking 2 cups of milos (hot chocolate) within an hour. The temperature was around 12 degrees Celsius, and I was thankful they provided extra blankets. 

Anyway, I had a good nights sleep (as usual).

I woke up the next day to find out it was the last day of operation for the hostel (it was 23th December 2016), and they close for Christmas and maintenance. My plan was to spend a full day in Faro and the night at the airport. My flight back to Glasgow was on the following morning, 9am. 

So on top of my history book (from the University of Glasgow Library, I dragged my luggage everywhere)

Faro is one of the biggest cities in the region of Algarve, southern Portugal. Nowadays, it is a party beach town. 

Former District Government's Palace, which is a shopping district nowadays 

Tourism seems to be the main economic activity

Faro has a coastline path, which looks extremely attractive to cycle

Lunch was simple but pleasant

Not a fan for pastries and sweets, but they look good (should have got some dessert)

The marina was beautiful, filled with yachts and boats. 

The seaside town resembles Melaka in Malaysia (or maybe it's just me)

The sunset was, and still is one of the best I have seen. You need to take into account that this was winter.

My desktop wallpaper for several years - The railway line

I had dinner and chilled at McDonald's, similar to when I arrived 6 days ago. I left for the airport at around 7.30pm.

2 days to Christmas

The airport, as expected, had no heater. There were also a few poor souls who made the airport their home for the night. I had some good reading materials to kill time. It was around 14 degrees Celsius, so it was still manageable. 

When you reach a certain age, I suppose you don't sleep at airports anymore, and would prefer more comfort. The benefits of solo traveling is that I could take care of myself based on my own needs. 

As usual, I had a good rest. 

The flight back had just 20 passengers - I suppose there would be more the other way round

~~~

Looking back, traveling to Portugal was a fantastic experience in December 2016. Till date, Lisbon remains my top 3 favourite European cities. 

God knows when we will get to fly again



PS: If you are queued for the vaccine, do take it immediately. Protecting yourself means protecting others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment